Visitors to this site:
Settlement at Norton Fitzwarren is ancient.
There is evidence of occupation in the Stone Age and going back 3 millennia to the Bronze Age
the hill fort was fortified with earthworks that were rebuilt when itwas enlarged in the Iron Age.
Settlement here may have been continuous since Roman remains have also been found on
more than one site in the Parish.
Norton therefore is much older than the nearby town of Taunton,which recently celebrated 1100
years since the granting of its Charter and was founded by the Saxon King Ina(688-726).
The name Fitzwarren was added in the period following the Norman Conquest when the manor
was held by Fulke Fitz-Guarine (the son of Guarine), which became anglicized to Fitzwarren.
Norton is a “ton”, that is settlement, to the north: presumably because it is north of the river Tone,
whereas the old town of Taunton was originally to the south.
Two bridges were replaced over Halse Water by Somerset County Council - thereby re-opening a a very popular walk.
Willow arch installed by the Parish Council at the nature reserve
Bench provided for nature reserve
Broken and rusty signs replaced around the village by the Parish Council
The Parish Council paid for this swing installation at the Conquest Centre
Village name sign for Great Western Way
Stone seats at the hill fort installed with the help of a grant from Wessex Water
Repairs to bank at Halse Water
Refurbished fingerpost signs